Delaware's Premier Funeral Service Entity for Over 30 Years
In March of 1975, a longtime dream of Ernest "Sammy" Congo became a reality. Sammy and his wife, Cheris, held an open house for a "first-generation" funeral home located at 201 N. Gray Avenue in Wilmington, Delaware. The facility had been built in the late 1950s by a well-known African American architect from Wilmington, Mr. Calvin Hamilton. Sammy and Cheris made Delaware history in that year by accomplishing what no other first-generation funeral home had ever done: they received 75 calls during their first year in business!
In 1986, the Congos opened their second funeral home located at 2317 N. Market Street, Wilmington, DE. After purchasing this facility, which was originally built in 1932, they had it completely gutted and rehabilitated to become one of the most beautiful funeral homes in the area.
Since that time, Congo Funeral Home has become known as the premier leader in superior funeral service throughout Wilmington and surrounding areas.